4 months post revision update


Hello!

It's been a long time since my last update. It has been 4 months since my revision and I wanted to blog today to discuss the developments.

Improvements:

Little to no pain and jaw/muscle fatigue. My previous blogs discussed my journey and the pain I have endured for the past 6 years. Now, I rarely, if it all feel pain in that area.

Not wearing bite guard any more.

Speech has drastically improved. I've had several clients, friends and family members remark in the difference. I notice a difference in the way I speak and express myself. It sounds less restricted and more clear. I don't stumble over my words the way I used to.

Singing is so much easier! I have had several clients that I've known for many years remark in the difference and I'm shocked by how little my jaw moves now when I sing. I find myself opening my mouth less to create sound. 

I can play my saxophone pain free! Over the holidays especially, my saxophone was out a lot and I found it to be so much easier on my jaw. Considering how infrequently I play it, I'm so happy with the results!

Hearing appears steady. I will have a hearing test done in the spring for my annual check up with my ENT. As I have walked through this journey, it seems the hearing issue may just be genetic and have no link to the ties. 

I choke less when I eat and drink. I used to cough frequently when eating and drinking. 
Apparently, the tongue has a lot to do with moving the food around and if it is restricted, well... :) 

The Work that has gone into it:


So, this process has not been as easy as I had expected. I knew going into the process that it would take work, but I don't think I was prepared for the amount of time it would take. It has ALL been WORTH it, but this process takes dedication for the body and brain to relearn and rewire. Like I have noted before, it is amazing to me how much a band of tissue can control. I am still in shock how much I overcompensated with my jaw for the tongue tie restriction.

My aftercare has consisted of weekly Speech Therapy sessions  (A big thank you to Alliance Speech Therapy and my Speech Therapist Shira Kirsh!!) via Zoom and monthly in the office. Included in that has been myofascial release, Voice Gym techniques, after care exercises, etc.

I also worked with my chiropractor weekly and now back down to monthly sessions to help my body from going back to the "tense state" it would want to revert to. With a tie, your body is used to being restricted and tense and that is why it is especially so important to follow up with aftercare. You also want the tie to heal correctly. 


Going Forward...

I am so happy I made the decision to do this! I am so thankful for my son and his experience with his ties. Without our lactation consultant's knowledge and her relationship with Dr. Scott Siegel in NYC, none of his would have been possible. Being a parent of a child with a tie is hard! Trying to breastfeed a child with a tie is EXCRUCIATING! (for me it was....) But I know after my experience in my release, that my husband and I saved our son years of pain and issues. 

I am so thankful for Dr. Scott Siegel and his relationship with Lactation Consultants and Speech Therapists and his willingness to educate the various communities. With his knowledge, I was able to work with my wonderful Speech Therapist Shira Kirsh.

I am very thankful for my wonderful Chiropractor Dr. Guy Pistilli!! Thank you so very much from the bottom of my heart. When I came to him in 2011 with TMJ issues, he was one of the only doctors in my area to understand it and treat it. He was a support in my journey for my tongue tie removal and to attend Speech Therapy. Thank you for your holistic view point and for your knowledge.

Thank you to my husband. He has sacrificed time, money and energy for me to take care of myself. He has taken many extra nights with the kids so I could commute for Speech Therapy and during the process of the removal was my emotional support. Thank you! <3

My journey is not over, I have made so many gains but still have some work left. I still have some Speech Therapy sessions left and some exercises that need a bit more work. 

But, at 4 months, I can say, THIS... THIS experience is the one thing I have found to be my link in almost all of my physical turmoil over the years with my jaw area.

Thank you to everyone involved! You are so very appreciated!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1 Week Post Revision Update

Many turns