1 Week Post Revision Update



Hello again! Can I just say what an amazing week this has been?

My revision was exactly a week ago. I won't lie, it was kind of painful. The 2 needles and numbing cream stung being that it is in such a thin area. The laser smelled with the ties being removed. The wound looked like a giant hole at first and within 8 hours it had transformed back into new tissue. It was amazing how quickly it healed. They say that happens with the mouth and fast healing. 

Immediately my mother noticed that my lisp was gone. I never had a strong lisp and I'm not sure many people would have noticed it, but my voice had a tight sound to it, especially with "the" sounds. I had several people throughout the week comment that they noticed the change too.

Probably the best change was the change that happened in my singing!!! I have had a few music therapy sessions this week and was immediately struck by the clarity in my voice. Clients whom I have known for several years also noticed the change and noted that they heard more "Freedom" and less "tightness." Pretty amazing! I never realized how I had been held back by the ties. 

Day 3 of the healing was the hardest of the week. I was warned by my speech therapist who also had her ties removed that it was the peak of inflammation. Between the exercises that I'm doing 3x a day (15 of them each time) and speech therapy, my TMJ flared. I was cranky that day. Motrin was my friend until last night when I stopped taking it. It helped take away the soreness and possibly the stiffness of the healing. 

Last night I took out my saxophone! I think my saxophone will take a bit longer to develop again but I did notice less jaw fatigue. I'm so out of practice with my horn, so it's going to take some time to develop my "chops" again. My muscles need to relearn how to play in a new way. I recall being in high school and telling my band teacher that my jaw would just give out over time. Looking back, I think it was TMJ. I think my jaw muscles over compensated so greatly that I would have jaw fatigue by the end of a long day of playing. Anyway... time will heal that too I'm sure. It felt great playing and my children were both excited to see my saxophone. 

Below I will be putting some pictures. I will not put the post laser picture on there but I will show you a before picture with the ties and some changes from the week. There is no blood or anything, but if you don't feel comfortable, please don't go further. 

More updates to come.













Night before revision:
Note the thick band of tissue. It goes back much further than you can see here.



8 hours post revision (incredible!!)


5 days post revision


1 Week Post revision



Comments

Popular posts from this blog